Saline is a solution of Sodium Chloride dissolved in Distilled Water. The Sodium Chloride used is not table salt (which contains impurities and added iodine) but is pharmaceutical grade. The solution is buffered and isotonic.
Saline works by keeping the nasal passages well moisturised, and makes sure the nasal mucous moves out of the nose, through the front of the nose. If the nose is blocked, then the mucous will drip down the back of the throat causing a post nasal drip. If the mucous does not move out the nose it can lead to infections such as sinusitis. Using products that dry up the nose is not recommended.
Saline is completely safe to use. It does not damage the walls of the nasal passages, even when used for a long time. It can be used by all ages from newborn to adult. It is also safe for use by pregnant and breastfeeding moms.
There are no side effects. Because it is Isotonic, it will not burn.
For newborn and young children using a high force spray can scare them. And a high force spray, pushes the nasal mucous deeper into the nasal passages.
It is sea water free because saline contains only Sodium Chloride (with buffers and a preservative) Sea Water is not saline, because it has other minerals and possible impurities.
Decongestant Nasal Sprays contain active Ingredients such as Oxymetazoline and Xylometazoline, and can have the following side-effects:
• They dry up the nasal passages, giving so-called immediate relief, but in actual fact, this can lead to nasal cavity infection and rebound rhinitis.
• They are only safe to use for 5 to 7 days.
• They dry the mucus and prevent the nasal passages from naturally getting rid of excess mucus which might result in an infection.
• They dry the mucus and prevent the elimination of allergens, when can make nasal allergies worse.
• They can cause nasal burning, irritation, and dryness.
• They are not recommended for use by pregnant or breast feeding woman.
What are Salex's Unique Features
Isotonic(no burn formula)
Sea Water Free
Which Salex Product Should I Use?
Use Salex Saline DropSpray, this bottle can dispense one drop at a time if held upside down.
Use the Salex Paediatric Metered Spray, this very gentle spray, with an ergonomically designed nozzle has a controlled volume and pressure which will not scare the child. One can also use the Salex DropSpray in the vertical position, as a spray.
Use the Salex Metered Spray, or Salex DropSpray, held vertically. The Metered Spray has a controlled volume and pressure, and Salex DropSpray has a pressure regulated by the force the bottle is squeezed
Use the Salex SSR Kit
Use the Salex SSR Paediatric Kit